December is here and the Christmas season is in full swing with its special moments and sweet nostalgia. If you are anything like the Fred Parent team, it also means big, intimidating to-do lists. Ones comprised of Elf on the Shelf ideas, cookies to bake, ginger bread houses to build, a tree to trim, gifts to buy, photos to schedule, cards to be sent and events to attend. Whew!
To make life simpler and keep that Christmas magic flowing, Amanda Smith, marketing director for Spotsylvania Towne Centre, offered up these gift ideas, as well as run-down of fun Christmas events happening at Spotsylvania Towne Centre and more!
What are this year’s Christmas events at Spotsylvania Towne Centre?
We have a ton of holiday events this year with several of them kicking off in November. We have tuba concerts, pictures with Santa, Saxon Shoes for the Needy, The Ignite The Night Laser Show, The Merry Market, Concert in Lights and more. You can find details on events on our website and Facebook page, but here’s a quick rundown:
• Saxon Shoes for the Needy (Nov 1 – Dec 24) - In partnership with The Salvation Army Adult Rehab Center, you can donate your new or gently-worn shoes to benefit deserving area families. Saxon Shoes in The Village neighboring the mall.
• Santa Photos (November 12 – December 24) Center Court Giving Thanks Promotion! Buy any package and receive a free set of wallets. Offer valid through 11/23/16. Hours vary. Visit our events page on Facebook for details!
• Ignite the Night Village Laser Show Powered by B101.5 (November 12 –December 24) Friday evenings at 6 pm, 7 pm and 8 pm and Saturday evenings at 6 pm, 7 pm, 8 pm and 9 pm. Take a journey into pure imagination with the Ignite the Night Village Laser Show. You might even get a glimpse of Santa, or see it snow! In the Village at Towne Centre across from Sephora. Details at B1015.com keyword: LASER
• Concert in Lights (November 12 – December 24) 6:30 pm, 7:30 pm, 8:30 pm, and 9:30 pm- Powered by Arhaus and Malawi’s Pizza
• Village Iceless Ice Skating Rink Sponsored by 93.3 WFLS. Near Sephora in the Village neighboring the mall. It’s the most wonderful time of the year to skate! 93.3 WFLS, 99.3 The Vibe, and The Village at Towne Centre invite you and your family to enjoy FREE skating in the Village. Skates provided. Check out website for exact dates.
• Breakfast with Santa. (December 3) 10 am. Get ready for the best Breakfast ever! It's Breakfast with Santa and the Chick-fil-A Cow. Register at the Customer Service Centre located by Bath and Body Works. $5 per child, cash only. Saxon Shoes will be at Breakfast with Santa accepting your donations of new or gently-worn shoes for people in need.
• Tuba Christmas Concert (December 4) 3 – 4pm, Food Court Stage
• Toys 4 Tots with 93.3 WFLS, 99.3 The Vibe, and 96.9 The Rock. (December 10) 12 – 4 pm. Food Court across from Auntie Anne’s. Join 93.3 WFLS, 99.3 The Vibe and 96.9 The Rock for our Toys for Tots Finale event. Help area children this holiday season by bringing a new, unwrapped toy donation for Toys for Tots.
• Concert in Lights Sponsored by Merry Market. (December 9 – December 11) Come out for a weekend of great Christmas ideas, gifts, catering, and everything you need to make the season merry and bright.
• Fredericksburg Community Concert Band Performance. (December 14) 7 – 8pm. Food Court
• Spotswood Baptist Choir and Orchestra Christmas Concert. (December 17) 11 am – 12:30 pm, Food Court stage.
• Concert in Lights Sponsored by Red Cross Blood Drive. (Dec 17 -Dec 18). 10 am-4 pm Saturday and 11 am-4 pm Sunday. Help give a special gift to someone in need. Visit www.redcrossblood.org for more information.
What is The Concert in Lights?
The Concert in Lights is a synchronized music and lights show that takes place in The Village at Towne Centre. It runs November 12 through December 24 and features traditional holiday classics as well as songs from Frozen! Our inspiration comes from the many houses you’ve probably seen in person or in videos covered in Christmas lights synchronized to music from the Tran Siberian Orchestra. We do that here on a much larger scale! We have an enormous Christmas Tree in the middle of The Village, trees wrapped in twinkle lights and buildings decorated with garland. The windows are also back-lit in white and green. When the music starts, the twinkle light decorations dance to the music. The music features everyone’s favorite songs from Frozen, Polar Express, and holiday big band classics.
What are the biggest gift trends you’re seeing this year?
Jewelry is always a great gift! Fink’s Jewelers carries Alex and Ani as well as beautiful watches. Of course, you can never go wrong with Pandora jewelry. Build-A-Bear is also very popular at Christmas for adults and kids!
Any gift buying tips for loved ones that are difficult to select presents for?
My biggest tip would be think comfy—slippers, slipper socks, scarves, gloves, pajamas and robes. You can never go wrong with presents that make you feel warm and cozy!
What would make a great Secret Santa present for a coworker?
Food! HomeGoods has fantastic food and candy gift sets. Hickory Farm is also amazing! I like to make my own gift packs with items from Starbucks and Teavana. If you’re not a fan of DIYing gifts, Teavana currently has a tea starter kit for $25. I just received one as a gift from my coworkers and I love it!
How about gifts under $10?
You can get great $10 gift at Francesca’s. Besides having awesome clothes, they have cool small items like little coin purses, things you’d love to put on your desk and cool wall art. Francesca’s is a great store if you need to find something for your sister or niece. You can always find gifts for under $10 at Bath and Body Works, as well. They just launched their White Barn line, which is a selection I love for gift giving. Matthew’s Hallmark has great gifts for under $10 including tons of small gifts like ornaments, gourmet candy and fabulous gifts for mom.
What’s popular with the 'tween and teen crowd this season?
Books-A-Million is a great place to shop for ‘tweens and teens. They have books, cool tech (like ear buds, vinyl record players, audio books, phone cases, speakers, chargers, book lights and Hyperkin Gaming), movies, music and more. Justice has cute clothes and accessories. You can find great band T-shirts and movie inspired clothes at Hot Topic.
Have questions for Amanda Smith? Ask them during our Ask The Expert Facebook Live chat on December 15 at 8:00 pm. Come join the conversation!