Welcome to the Fredericksburg Area Imagination Library, serving 22401, 22406 and 22554. Fredericksburg Parent Gives, the nonprofit arm of Fredericksburg Parent and Family, began during COVID-19 when publisher Leigh Anne Van Doren began looking for a way to support the families in the area who were in quarantine. Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library is the first project she selected to bring to the area to help prepare every child for kindergarten by the age of 5.
What is the Imagination Library?
Imagination Library was founded by Dolly Parton in 1995. This book gifting program mails a brand new, age-appropriate book to enrolled children every month from birth until 5 years of age at no cost to participating families. Imagination Library creates a home library of up to 60 books and instills a love of books and reading from an early age. Today, children in many parts of the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and the Republic of Ireland participate in this fun program!
It is critical that children are ready to succeed when they start kindergarten (cognitively, socially, emotionally and physically) so they can learn. To ensure that children are prepared to start school, Imagination Library’s goals and objectives are to:
- Increase the number of books in the homes of children (the number of books is an important contribution to childhood reading)
- Increase literacy activities in the homes of participating children
- Increase parent-child interaction in the homes of participating children
- Increase kindergarten readiness
- Enable parents to feel good about engaging with their children in positive ways
Startup funding was provided by Fredericksburg Parent and Family magazine—your one stop shop for all things family in Fredericksburg! This program is also made possible through the generous support of The Rappahannock Area Rotary Club, Sara Branner, Kathy Angel and Leigh Anne Van Doren.
We welcome and need your support! There are 7,279 kids under the age of 5 in 22401, 22406 and 22554 zip code(s). Register your child or a grandchild:
3 Ways to Support Our Program
- Donate here on this page! Your $25 donation sponsors a local child for a whole year.
- Give at Imagination Library and select giving to your local affiliate, VAFREDERICKSBURGAREA #2724.
- Send a check by mail to: Fredericksburg Parent Gives, PO Box 7884, Fredericksburg, VA 22404
Subscribe to Stay Connected
If you are interested in events and other information for your family, sign up here for the Fred Parent eletters.