When the weather takes a turn for the better and spring has sprung, I can feel my mood lifting! Even better, I can feel my stomach growling because it means it’s finally time to start eating outside again! Dining al fresco is one of my favorite things to do, especially when our backyard grill is involved. Some people may think barbecuing is a seasonal affair, but we use our grill year-round to help create healthy and delicious grilled components to our meals. In fact, I’d say we grill items at least four times a week, which can get very interesting in the snow and 30 degree temperatures!
Whether you fire up the grill year-round like us or prefer to use it only during the warm months, it’s important to remember that the grill isn’t just for more indulgent meals like hamburgers and hot dogs. Most of the healthier meals we prepare for dinner are grill based. It’s amazing how much flavor and deliciousness come from throwing veggies and proteins on the grill. One of my favorite types of meals to prepare is a make-your-own burrito, taco or fajita night where many of the components are fresh off the grill. These grilled salmon and veggie tacos are a perfect illustration of how dynamic and complex flavors can be achieved by grilling. It’s like dressing up a basic taco night to the extreme!
Here, grilled veggies are really the star. Grilling greens develops a rich and deep taste, transforming ordinary produce into something totally crave-worthy. Salmon is a superstar lean protein chock-full of good-for-you nutrients, and its hearty texture makes it stand up well to grilling. Even the tortillas get in on the grilling fun and benefit from a bit of yummy charring. And when you pair these rich and flavorful fixings together with the cooling, contrasting relief of spicy mayo, it’s perfection and a lovely meal to enjoy right on the patio!
Grilled Salmon Tacos with Spicy Mayo
4 salmon filets
Juice of one lime
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ pound tomatillos; husked, rinsed, and halved
1 bunch scallions, trimmed
8 small flour tortillas
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Sriracha or hot sauce of your choice
One avocado, diced into small cubes
2 plum tomatoes, diced
¼ cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Mix two tablespoons oil with lime juice, salt and pepper. Pour over salmon, turning to coat. Place salmon on grill grates and grill approximately 4-5 minutes on each side until flaky. Remove and chop into small chunks.
- In a large bowl, toss the tomatillos and scallions with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender and nicely charred, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a cutting board and roughly chop into smaller pieces.
- Grill the tortillas until slightly charred; 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise and Sriracha or hot sauce.
- To serve, line the tortillas with salmon, tomatillos, scallions, avocado and tomatoes. Spoon mayo on top, then sprinkle with Cotija. Enjoy!