- Category: My Stomping Grounds
- Published: Tuesday, August 02, 2016
- Written by Susan Wanderer
It’s week 9357 of summer and you wanna say to your little cherubs “Go outside and play. All day. Until I call you back in.” But it's fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk-hot outside so you know they will only last about 2.15 seconds. If you force them to stay any longer, CPS could be called.
All your Creative Station Ideas you came up with in May were done being played with on week 2 of summer.
Your Chore Charts lasted til about week 3. As if THAT actually worked.
Disney TV, Nickelodeon, Movies, Tablets… Mama-Can’t-Take-No-More.
And the pool…. Did I mention the heat index is 106? There is a reason the life guards have zero kids to supervise at the neighborhood pool. Even the water is non-refreshing.
And let’s face it, you are just too tired to come up with one more idea.
The heat, the sibling arguments, it's all turned you into one hot-mess-mama.
When does school start again?
But, just in time, you discover a very surprising saving grace… Cooking Competition Shows!
Stick with me on this.
My girls and I piled on the couch, turned on Netflix and found a few gems that made us pick sides and cheer on our favorites. Who doesn’t love a completion? Team Wanderer was ALL. IN.
Here are three of our faves:
- Worst Cooks In America. After one episode we were hooked. We were cheering on our favorite awful-cook while howling with laughter.
- Beat Bobby Flay. We are huge fans of Bobby’s Burger Palace in Woodbridge, so we were star struck. So we knew, we must grab our pom-poms for Bobby.
- Iron Chef America. Our tastes have now clearly become more sophisticated so we scream and squeal over the fast-paced five course competition.
Looking for an indoor activity that does not require endless hours on Pinterest?
Cooking Competition Shows are where-it's-at, parents!
I promise they will bring a bit of enjoyment back to hot-hazy-evenings of summer and fill those last couple of hours before bedtime!