Don’t let a few holiday weeks get you down! Supercharge your 2020 and stay on track by using some of the healthy lifestyle tips below. You’ll be surprised at the difference just a smidge of discipline can make to your waistline.
- Don’t drink your calories. A lot of people tend to dismiss the calories in what they drink. But check this out: a pumpkin spice latte is over 300 calories. A glass of wine, over 120 calories. A beer, 150 calories, about the same as a sugary soda. To give you some perspective, one pumpkin spice latte and one glass of wine a day is almost the equivalent of a full meal!
- Avoid grazing. All those little nibbles and bites add up! As tempting as it may be to grab convenience foods from your treat stash throughout the day, it’s best to wait for an actual mealtime when it’ll be easier to track what you’ve consumed.
- Buy healthy snacks. Snacking is a huge culprit when it comes to derailing a diet. Invest in your own stash of healthier treats. Nuts instead of chips; a small square of dark chocolate (72% cacao or greater) instead of cookies; and a chunk of sharp cheddar cheese instead of an entire sandwich.
- Set a step goal. Now’s the perfect time to charge the Fitbit that’s sitting at the bottom of your purse with a dead battery and set a daily step goal. 10,000 steps a day is a common recommendation.
- Destress. Stress wreaks havoc on our bodies, and it affects our metabolism, too. Take care of your mental health by keeping it simple! Give yourself permission to say no to social obligations and unnecessary outings. If you’re stressed financially, send thoughtfully-written cards this year instead of gifts.
- Get enough sleep. It’s not called beauty sleep for nothing! Lack of sleep Is proven to increase weight gain and appetite. Aim for 8 hours of shut eye!
- Bring a healthy side and/or treat to parties. Gatherings this time of year are packed with carb-laden, heavily-processed goodies. Be sure to bring sides and/or treats that you can indulge in guilt-free.
- Try intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting keeps it simple. You eat within certain hours of the day and only drink water or other no-calorie drinks the rest of the time.
- Water goals. It’s easy to mistake thirst or boredom for hunger. When in doubt, chug that water! You’ll feel fuller and eat less.
- Allow cheat snack/meal, not cheat days/weeks. Went to a party and overindulged? Didn’t meal plan for the weekend? Let it go and get back on track at the next meal!