The Table at St. George’s is a market-style food pantry serving the extended local community. Visitors are invited to select their own items from a variety of fresh food, including locally grown produce. The Table’s mission is to encourage healthy eating, build relationships with those in need, and blur the lines between those serving and those being served.
Here’s how the Table is unique:
- Visitors “shop” for their own food; nothing is designated for them.
- Fresh produce is kept in stock from local farms.
- Visitors can come weekly.
- Many who have started as shoppers now volunteer.
- The Table partners with local agencies to ensure that shoppers have the most accurate nutritional information on the food they’re getting.
The Table is one of the latest in a long line of ministries at St. George’s Episcopal Church. Since the church’s foundation in 1720, it has served its local community, founding and supporting local facilities. Food for The Table at St. George’s is provided by members of the congregation, local businesses and people in the community. The church also purchases food from the Fredericksburg Regional Food Bank.
The Table operates out of the church’s Sydnor Hall on Tuesdays from 9:30 to 11 a.m. and 5 to 6:30 p.m. Areas served include Caroline, King George, Orange, Spotsylvania and Stafford counties, as well as the city of Fredericksburg.
Interested in helping the ministry? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.