Guys. It is SO HOT OUTSIDE. Yesterday, we saw the heat index top 105 degrees. If you’re anything like us, you’re looking for a few ways to keep the kids entertained AND cool. Here are a few ideas that do just that.
Top Ten Ways To Beat The Heat
1. YMCA Waterpark – You all know we love the YMCA. Their waterpark is so great for the kiddos. The splash pad and zero entry pool is perfect for the under 10 crowd and the big slides are super fun for older kids (and their parents). Don’t bring dinner or lunch. The concession stand has you covered. Mom pro tip: Go after 5pm. It’s cooler and it’s $5/person. Plus, you can get dinner at the concession stand, swim for a few hours, put the little ones in jammies, then drive home and put them straight to bed.
2. Playing in the River- Paddle boarding, fly fishing, kayaking, canoeing, tubing, there is soooo much to do in the Rappahannock River!
3. Visit the great house at Stratford Hall- Spend some time exploring the beautiful ( and air conditioned ) Great house where the Lee’s of Virginia used to live.
4. Go to the movies- What’s better than a crisp, cold theater and a soda on a hot day? Mom pro tip: Paragon Village 12 Theater is showing free movies at 10am over the summer and Regal Theater is showing $1 movies.
5. The Eagle Village Shopping Center- Guys… Pick up coffee at Blackstone, have the kids run around the Children’s Museum, then grab froyo at Sweet Frog or artisanal popcorn at The Popcorn Bag. Is anyone else super excited about Duck Donuts opening??
6. Water balloon fight – We’re including you in this too, mom.
7. Story times- All the story times. Check out The Central Rappahannock Regional Library website for times and locations. Barnes and Noble has one as well (they also have coffee and amazing pastries *ahem* ).
8. VBS- Most run 9-12pm, 4 days a week. It keeps the kids entertained and in the AC.
9. Bowling – Who doesn't’t love bowling? The fries, the silly shoes, the game. It’s all good!
10. Drink plenty of fluids – Best tip for staying cool? Drink lots of cold water!