We were so inspired by last week’s live Ask The Expert with Visit Fred, that we decided to make a Top Ten list of staycation ideas in The 'Burg! If you’re interested in planning a Fredericksburg staycation or vacation, be sure to check out the Visit Fred website for loads of ideas and resources. You can also stop by any of Fredericksburg's Regional Visitor Centers and talk to the staff there for unique ideas for your staycation!
Top Ten Staycation Ideas In Fredericksburg
1) Try your hand at a SUP yoga or SUP pitaiyo class! Fun, sun, and the river! Get in shape and have a blast doing it. Check out River Rock Outfitters, Friends Of The Rappahannock, and Pitaiyo for more info.
2) Visit local art galleries and take a class. Fredericksburg has a thriving art scene. Soak it in with a leisurely day dipping in and out of Downtown galleries! Spend an afternoon taking an art class at Liberty Town Arts, Ponshop, Pots and Pallets, or Wine and Design.
3) A Childrens' Walking Tour- . During our Ask The Expert session, Julie from Visit Fred mentioned taking a Children’s Walking Tour. "You can pick up a brochure at the Visitor Center – it’s a piece created by kids, for kids and has a place to collect stamps at area historic attractions. The brochure is free and you could do one or two sites by paying at the door OR buy a Day-Pass at the Visitor Center that gives you 24 hours of museum admission." Sounds like a great idea to us!
4) Get your brunch on and take a trolley or carriage ride. There are loads of great places to get brunch in The 'Burg! Take advantage of this glorious mid-morning meal and then explore your city in a whole new way: in a trolley or horse drawn carriage.
5) Restaurant week and the Sandwich Invitational- If you can swing it, July 30- Aug 9th is the perfect time to plan a staycation. Why? Because it's summer Restaurant Week and the 2nd Annual Sandwich Invitational! Tickets are on sale now for the Invitational. You can get them at the Visitors Center, Downtown.
6) Hike one of our many trails- There are dozens of great trails in Fredericksburg. Get outside and get active during this year's staycation!
7) Tour battlefields- Be honest. How long have you lived here? Have you visited any of our battlefields? Take some time this staycation to surround yourself with local history. It's amazing how much there is right here in our town.
8) Get familiar with George Washington- George Washington's Boyhood Home (Ferry Farm) , George Washington's Birthplace National Monument, The Rising Sun Tavern... The list goes on! Washington grew up in this area and left an undeniable mark. Check out one (or all) of these historical locations and learn about George Washington's life as a boy growing up in 1700's Virginia!
10) Stay at an Inn instead of your home - Okay, okay, okay sooo we totally get that one of the main benefits to a staycation is that you get to stay in your own bed and potentially save a ton on hotel expenses. We, however, would like to argue that one or two nights at an inn Downtown, might put you more in the vacation spirit. Check out The Richard Johnson Inn, The Kenmore Inn, Lavender Heights Bed and Breakfast, and Inn at the Old Silk Mill.