The beginning of the year is such an exciting time! It gives us a chance to start fresh and refocus. Health and wellness are on just about everyone's minds. Where do you even begin to start? There are loads of theories and all kinds of information out there. To get you motivated and moving in a good direction, we've rounded up our top ten wellness tips. Now, we're not life coaches, fitness experts, or nutritionists. This advice comes from years of personal experience and our own research. We challenge you to implement two tips a week over the next month or so. Remember: Small steps repeated over time can yield big results!
Ten Tips To Living A Healthier Life
1. Drink water… especially first thing in the morning. Bonus points if there’s lemon in it! Staying well hydrated is not only vital to life it helps with your digestion, flushes toxins, elevates your mood and energy levels, may decrease food cravings, and benefits your skin's health. Drink up!
2. Get some fresh air. Aim to spend at least 10 -15 minutes outside every day. Walking to your car doesn't’t count! Well… unless it’s a 10-15 minute walk. Being outdoors elevates your mood, clears your mind, reduces stress, and increases your levels of vitamin D.
3. Connect with someone you love. Call your best friend instead of texting them. Meet up with a coworker for lunch. Turn off the phones, computers, and tablets during dinner. Take time to nurture and enjoy your relationships.
4. Let it go. Let go of grudges, regrets, and past mistakes. Focus on the present and plan for the future. As the saying goes: Don’t look back; you’re not going that way.
5. Get your blood pumping. Yoga, wall ball, bowling, jogging, dodge ball… find an activity that makes you genuinely happy and do it!
6. Eat clean. Can you find it in nature? Is it comprised entirely of things you can find in nature? Yes? Then eat it! No? Then leave it alone. Do that 80% of the time.
7. Get some sleep. I know this one is easier said than done when you have really little kids. Do the best you can and make sleep a priority. Meaning? If you’re choosing between another episode/chapter/few minutes on Pinterest and sleep, choose sleep.
8. Make time for things you love. What are your hobbies? Do you remember? Try to take a few minutes each day to focus on something that makes YOU happy.
9. Be still. Sit in silence for as long as you can and focus on your breath. It is hard. Meditation is not for the weak, but it is so important. It gives your mind and spirit time to rest, re-energize, and refocus. Try to do this once a week.
10. Cull the visual clutter. Visual clutter can lead to stress. Try to spend 15 minutes a day picking up and clearing off horizontal surfaces. Got a really big mess on your hands? Tackle it in manageable chunks and don’t give up! 15 minutes a day after several days adds up!