'Tis the season for holiday shopping! While many large chains and websites will cut prices dramatically on Black Friday, we at FredParent challenge you shop small this holiday season. Please don't reserve shopping locally just for Small Business Saturday, either. There are many reasons why supporting local small businesses is important. Here are just a few!
Top Ten Reasons To Shop Small Businesses
1. It keeps money in the community. Money that is spent locally tends to stay local. For example, small businesses, on average, give non-profits 250% more support than larger companies. By investing in small businesses, you’re investing in the future of your own town!
2. It supports local jobs. It’s no surprise that local businesses tend to hire people within the community. Supporting local small businesses means supporting jobs for our neighbors and even increasing the job pool as small businesses grow.
3. It’s better for the environment. Buying products that are made, grown, and sourced locally means those products have a much shorter distance to travel to get into your shopping bag. That means fewer resources consumed (i.e gas) which is a huge win for the environment.
4. You’re supporting a dream. It requires a good bit of courage to quit the security of your day job to follow a dream. Shopping at a local business supports someone’s dream. How amazing is that?
5. Fresh is best. The nutrient value in food decreases the longer you wait to eat it after it has been picked. The closer to home your food is grown, the healthier it is for you. Many local restaurants serve food that’s been grown in the area. Farmers markets and CSAs are also an awesome resource for fresh food grown close to home!
6. You get better service across the board. Have you ever have to wait forever on the phone to reach a customer service representative? Hate dealing with robots? When you have an issue with a product purchased from a local small business, you either deal directly with the owner or with a person who answers directly to them. Local businesses also take more time to get to know customers and are more apt to hire people who understand their products. Customer service doesn’t get much better than that, guys!
7. It celebrates the uniqueness of the community. Fredericksburg is quirky, wonderful, and full of stories. Part of that quirkiness derives from how different all our fabulous shops are! Buying local helps celebrate and support what makes Fredericksburg unique.
8. You conserve your tax dollars. Local businesses require little infrastructure investment (i.e they don’t have to build a store - they just take up a vacant space already available) and, on average, use public services more efficiently than big box stores do upon entering the community. In a nutshell, small businesses make your tax money work harder for you and for the community.
9. You encourage community. Shopping small creates waves. Local business owners care. They care about the community and they care about their clients. They’ll remember your pets’ names and they know your kid is allergic to mangos. They send card a card when you buy your first home and help you out when you can’t pay for that oil change because you lost your job. A community loves, supports, and celebrates each other. Shopping small and establishing relationships with local businesses is an important part of creating and maintaining a strong community.
10. Because it doesn’t get any better than products made or purchased via small businesses in Fredericksburg!