It is hard to believe autumn is already here and Halloween is just around the corner. October is always a fun month for Fredericksburg Parent and Family and this year is proving to be a very active one. We’ll start October at the Dog Fair, a 300 year old Fredericksburg tradition! Midmonth, join us at the Rotary Club “Wings & Wheels” event on the 15th. We wrap up the month with great MomStops Shots photo contests of our most enjoyable children and pet Halloween costumes!
October is “Positive Attitude Month” and I have found that a positive attitude has served me well as a business owner, a scout leader, and as a savvy parent. Positive attitudes in parents create positive attitudes in children, friends, co-workers, and others around us every day. Positive attitudes lead to good decision making and to good health and healing….which leads us to the more serious side of October; Breast Cancer Awareness. Did you know?
• 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will develop invasive breast cancer?
• That more than 38,000 women in the U.S. died in 2010 from breast cancer?
• Breast cancer death rates are higher than those for any other cancer, besides lung cancer and that there are more than 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. alone?
• That a woman’s risk of breast cancer approximately doubles if she has a first-degree relative who has been diagnosed with breast cancer?
• That 70-80% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history but are due to genetic abnormalities; a result of the aging process and life, in general.
• And that the most significant risk factors for breast cancer are gender and age.
Join us this month in meeting some amazing people…cancer survivors, navigators, awareness leaders, and others who help raise money to fight this disease. Read of positive attitudes that helped strengthen these women and men throughout their journeys.
When I started this magazine 13 years ago, I had a theory in mind…I wanted to create a community of parents who would support each other and help their children succeed while also becoming a well rounded parent, full of knowledge and experience involving this community. We have grown from focusing on mainly newborn issues to following childhood development through the teen years. We also focus on parent health and throughout this year, we will help educate Fredericksburg Parents on options for physical, mental, emotional, and nutritional health in our community. Connect with “Real Moms and Dads” experiencing real life situations or changes…learn to laugh and appreciate each phase of life but also learn how to make the journey through life a healthy one.
Keep it positive!
Leigh Anne VanDoren
Leigh Anne is the publisher of Fredericksburg Parent and Family Magazine and is the busy mom of two active daughters, Tabitha and Jamie. Leigh Anne’s husband, Tom is a well known engineer in the field of robotics, who also keeps a busy schedule. We often wonder how she keeps it all afloat...but she just does and that positive attitude pulls her through stressful moments. Leigh Anne won the Chamber of Commerce Award for Entrepreneur of the Year and Fredericksburg is very fortunate to have such a caring, driven, and determined woman guiding moms and dads along their parenting journey!