Captain McFinn Anti-Bully Rally!
Saturday October 19th
11am – 2pm, Food Court
Join us at the Spotsylvania Towne Centre as we
rally against bullying!
There will be fun crafts, entertainment, and a
Coral Rose reading corner.
Plus, kids will get to put their handprint on the
Be A Buddy Wall and be sworn in as an Honorary Deputy!
Spotsylvania Towne Centre joins national campaign
to prevent bullying
(October 19, 2013)(Fredericksburg, VA)- October is National Bullying Prevention Month and Spotsylvania Towne Centre is teaming up with Malls and Retailers Unite Against Bullying to bring attention to this important issue.
Captain McFinn and Friends, a nationally recognized leader in early childhood anti-bullying educational programming, is sponsoring the event. More than 100 malls across America are participating.
You are invited to attend and cover the following local events:
Events at Spotsylvania Towne Centre
• Captain McFinn's Anti-Bully Rally
• Saturday, October 19
• 11:00 AM
• The food court at Spotsylvania Towne Centre
3102 Plank Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
This family friendly event features activities, crafts, entertainment and more... with lots of community partners; including B101.5 and the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Department. Some of the highlights include:
• Kids get to put handprints on a Buddy Wall
• Storytime sessions
• Community signing of the Anti Bully Pledge
• Martial arts demonstrations
• Cheer Rally
• Dancing and singing with Captain McFinn
Come join us sometime between 11 and 2 tomorrow!
About Captain McFinn and Friends
Captain McFinn and Friends is an educational company and creator of bullying prevention materials. Headquartered in Youngstown, Ohio and launched in 2006, the program features puppets, posters, music and video to tell stories of kindness, respect and personal responsibility.
Where most anti-bullying programs are geared toward tweens and teens, Captain McFinn and Friends is focused on reaching young children, Pre-K through elementary school. The program's success comes, in part, by utilizing engaging stories of a former "bully" shark (McFinn) and a cast of characters in cartoon-driven narratives that children find engaging.
To learn more about Captain McFinn and Friends, please visit www.captainmcfinn.com.
•It is estimated that 160,000 children miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other students
•1-in-7 students in Grades K-12 is either a bully or a victim of bullying
•56% of all students have personally witnessed some type of bullying at
•Bullying can take many forms:
◦ Physical – hitting, pushing
◦ Verbal – slurs, put downs
◦ Indirect – spreading rumors and exclusion
◦ Cyber – harassment via texting or the Internet
• Victims often suffer depression, low self-esteem and anxiety
• Bullies also suffer. Studies show Bullies commit more crimes, use more mental health services and have higher rates of alcoholism then non-bullies