Oh, Mother Nature, you crazy lady. You give us 80 degree days in February, lots of mild temps, flowers and trees bloom early and just when we think spring is upon us...BAM...a snow storm and a week of freezing weather. I don’t know about you all, but I'm ready for spring.
It's about this time every year, that I start getting really tired of my winter clothes. I no longer want to look like a pale ghost covered head to toe in warm clothing. Ok, I'll be honest, there have been plenty of times when I've chosen cute over warmth, and I'm not sorry!! I've been longing for the days when I don't have static electricity on everything, and when running out of the house without your coat is seasonably acceptable and not because you spent 15 minutes looking for your kid's lost shoe and forgot your coat.
Spring is coming though, right?? Quick, someone ask that groundhog. In the meantime, I'd like to talk about one of my favorite patterns for spring (but it's not only for spring) and that's Florals! They're fun, bright and usually happy. I say usually, because I tend to prefer dark florals, and those can seem more edgy then happy.
(Dark floral: a floral pattern with a dark background)
I have a lot of dark florals. I even have a few right happy florals, ranging from dresses and skirts to shoes and scarves. All the floral things! So, are you ready to be all springy and flowery??
To help you get on board the flower train (I just said choo-choo in my head...thanks mom brain), here are a few things to consider
• Give pattern mixing a try- mix stripes with floral patterns. It's loads of fun! Just keep the color family the same and let one pattern be the star. So try to do a smaller stripe with a larger floral, or a more colorful floral.
• Don't be afraid to try floral pants- yes! Floral jeans or leggings. I have three pairs of floral patterned jeans. To make them work, stick to skinny cut and keep your top a solid color. Pair with booties or sandals for the win!
• Too much floral?- let's say you love a floral dress but you feel that the pattern is a bit overwhelming. Try wearing a shirt over top of the dress, like I did in the photo below. Just be sure to knot your shirt so it's not too loose and baggy.
• Add a touch of floral- for those of us that are floral phobic, try adding a scarf or shoes in a floral pattern. Let them be the star of your outfit, and keep everything else simple.
• Add interest with textures- let’s say you have a beautiful flowy floral blouse, pair that with skinny jeans so the texture and flowiness (I'm making up words left and right! Someone get me a job at Webster's dictionary) of the top contrasts with the more structured and rough jeans.
• And, don't forget about the floral bomber jacket trend. I've seen these everywhere. Here's mine, that I got at ThredUP (I talked about it in a previous post). I love this jacket so much, that I'm going to keep wearing it even if it goes “out of style”. I don't care!!
So, what do you think? Are you ready to jump on board? The floral train is now boarding... darn I need to get my kids off the train shows! Welcome spring with me, and let's put this crazy winter weather behind us! And, yes, I probably just jinxed us and now we will get more of the dreaded white stuff.
Don't forget to head over to my blog at www.raininstyle.com for more floral fun.