I have mentioned before that I do not have a sweet tooth, preferring more salty and savory flavors, but I can’t resist a good chocolate treat every now and then! I particularly have become infatuated with dessert recipes that simulate the Americana classic S’more. It seems like S’more-themed treats are everywhere these days, right down to specialty coffee and frappucinos. And who could resist that luscious combination of gooey marshmallow, tart chocolate, and crunchy graham cracker? If you haven’t tried my recipe for a super easy S’more Pie, you have to! It is rich, decadent, classic, and most of all extremely simple to put together. Here is the recipe. I recently tried my hand at combining my S’mores mania with one of my other favorite things – the classic chocolate chip cookie. Well, it turns out to be an amazing marriage!
The key to making these cookies is to chill the dough for a long time so that you give the marshmallows less of a chance to disintegrate when baking. Otherwise, they’ll kind of just bake out and ooze and you won’t really “see” the gooey whiteness of them coming out. But, then again, there’s nothing wrong with a little hidden marshmallow either, is there? Bottom line, it’s all good! It might take a few attempts to get the marshmallow technique down. I’m still figuring it out myself. But, the experimenting so far sure is delicious! Give them a try!
Scrumptious S’mores Cookies
• 1 cup butter, room temperature
• 2 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• One cup honey graham crackers, broken into little pieces
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• Approximately one cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
• Approximately one cup mini marshmallows
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
2. Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and brown sugar and mix until just incorporated.
3. Fold in the graham crackers and chocolate.
4. Place about a tablespoon of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets and make a small, flattened indentation on top of each.
5. Place 4-5 marshmallows on top of indentation. “Cover” them with another 2/3 or so tablespoon of cookie dough. Make sure to completely hide the marshmallow. Repeat until all cookie dough is gone.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 350.
8. Uncover the cookies and bake for 8 - 9 minutes or until a light golden brown.