Family Movie Night has become a recent new ritual in our household now that my son is old enough to both stay up late when we OK it and watch “big kid” movies. And of course, Mama is ready with making sure we are fully equipped with good snacks! After our first few Family Movie Nights, Aidan and I got talking about how fun it would be to make our movie snacks fit the theme of the story in some way, and it’s been quite a hit! We’ve made pumpkin bread for Cinderella, had rainbow cookies to fit the colorful characters of Inside Out, and as for Harry and the Hendersons during my son’s Bigfoot phase…let’s just say we searched far and wide for bear claw pastries only to discover that not one donut establishment in the area has even heard of them! Oh well – at least we tried! We were excited to introduce the classic kid movie The Sandlot to Aidan, and I got to work thinking of a treat that would mirror the classic Americana nostalgia of the film. Then, when I was telling Aidan about the funny s’mores scene during the boys’ sleepover in the clubhouse, it hit me. Nothing evokes Americana, summertime fun, and childhood adventure quite like a s’more!
I decided to convert this classic treat into a pie to enjoy indoors and it was…..outrageously delicious! Here is my recipe for our S’mores Pie. It is so simple! And it somehow got better and better as we continued to snack on it the next day. The buttery goodness of the crust, the richness of the chocolate ganache, and the gooey toasted marshmallow topping – it’s heaven in a pie dish! We hope you enjoy and feel inspired to create your own themed movie/snack nights with your family!
Heavenly S’mores Pie
- 1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 8-10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels
- 1 cup heavy or light cream
- 1 (10 oz) package marshmallows (your choice of what size marshmallow!)
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a pie dish.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar in mixing bowl. Mix well to the consistency of wet sand, then press into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven until the crust is lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes.
- Heat cream in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, bringing to a gentle boil. Quickly remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips in a bowl; whisk until smooth. Pour evenly over the graham cracker layer.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack so it is close to the heat source. Place marshmallows on top of chocolate layer, and broil until the marshmallows are lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Watch very closely so it does not burn! Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened, about one hour. Enjoy!