I love to write. Okay, really I just love to talk! Let's keep it real. ☺ I'm sure it can be annoying, but I tend to just say what I'm thinking and feeling to whomever is near me. All.The.Time. It is simply to let them know about something I find fascinating or intriguing, and I just want to know how they feel too. And sometimes is it because I lack self- control!
My life is such a blessing, and I absolutely love being a mom. Most of my conversations with others revolve around family, and it is wonderful to share stories about parenting in hopes of finding someone out there who has struggled a bit, and then figured out how to make it work.
Do you ever find yourself feeling like you are the only one in the world that is stuck with trying to find the answer to a parenting issue? Are you ever asking yourself some of these questions: Should I step in, or wait it out? Have I given them enough chances to try, fail, try again, and learn the important lessons? Isn't there a tutorial that I can watch for instructions on how to do it the right way?
Does anyone else lie awake at night while their brain downloads the events of the ENTIRE day in slow motion?
Me: let me sleep
Brain: lol, no let's stay awake and remember every stupid decision you made in your life.
Here is where that heartfelt encouragement comes in...you are doing just fine! No really, even if you made cereal for dinner (again!) it is okay! There are no exact rules when it comes to raising kids. I believe that there are some simple, yet profound, things to remember that will go a long way in helping you raise up joyful, loving children who feel like they matter and belong in this world.
1. Love them completely and unconditionally, from the heart.
2. Allow mistakes to be made, and then learn from them.
3. Laugh with them. I mean belly laugh. Often!
4. Give responsibilities to your children. They can become more challenging as they get older. It's important!
5. Forgive them. Over, and over, and over again. Mean it.
6. Spend time with them. Even when they're older. Relish every single moment. Trust me when I say that TIME FLIES.
7. Admit it when you make a mistake. It shows them that you're human and teaches them humility and grace.
8. Embrace who they are, and encourage them to use the gifts they've been given. Support them, but don't make them be something they're not.
9. Really listen to them when they talk with you. Pay attention!
10. Pray for them. Pray with them.
I look forward to hearing about some of what makes parenting joyful for you. What is your favorite thing about it? How about the hardest thing? Please feel free to share something that is sure to help me, or another person reading this, so we can all live purposefully and parent lovingly to brighten up this world we live in!