In a few days/weeks our family will be adding a new addition! The house is ready, the tiny
clothes are washed and put away and big brother Cooper has taken his big brother class, but are we actually ready? Going from one child to two makes me even more nervous than having just one. Luckily I have a great husband and family who will be there to help in any way possible. I will be away from the blog for a few weeks, but when I am back you will definitely get the full update on our transition!
I know that all through pregnancy women worry about their changing bodies and growing stomach and wonder how their body will ever return to normal. We have all seen the covers
of all the gossip magazines that show celebrities days after having their babies looking perfectly fit and happy. We know that is not reality but it is still disheartening when you work
out and the results aren't seen as quickly as you had hoped.
Below are some great tips on starting your postnatal fitness routine, remember before you start an intense or new workout post baby you should have permission from your doctor at your six week check-up.
- Did you know that very shortly after giving birth you can start some light exercising? Start out with a mix of gentle stretching, Kegel exercises and walking. Listen to your body, if you have any bleeding or soreness it's time to relax a little longer.
- If you worked out prior and during your pregnancy you can slowly return to your workout routine six weeks after giving birth to your baby. Just remember to take it easy, it will take a little while to get back to your pre-baby fitness level.
- Don't get frustrated if you don't see the results you want right away, remember it took you nine months to create this new amazing life and it will take more than a few workouts to get your old body back!
- Incorporate your baby into your workouts. Put baby in a front carrier or a stroller to enjoy workouts side by side. Join a workout group like Stroller Strides that will allow you to work out with your baby and meet other moms in the area that are going through the same challenges that you are.
- The most important tip: Enjoy your baby! Don't stress over getting that six pack right away, you just went through a life changing experience and you deserve a little
rest between those seemingly hourly feedings!